I have a confession to make. I’m totally hooked on Pinterest.
Pinterest (rhymes with “interest”) is a social tool that allows users to create online vision boards (those cool collages you make from cut-up newspaper images and put up on your walls for inspiration) and share your collages with other Pinterest users.
Here’s how to use Pinterest:
- Go to Pinterest.com and request an invitation by clicking on “Request an Invite” at the top of the page.
- When you get your invitation, create your free account (be mindful of your username – other people are going to see it!)
- Fill out your account with some basic details about you, and decide whether or not you want to link your Facebook account to your Pinterest account – I recommend that you do.
- Check out other people’s boards and look at what they’ve pinned to get a ideas about what people are doing with Pinterest. Rebecca Self was my inspiration when I started.
- Most pinned images are clickable and lead back to the original web page where they were found, so you can read more about the image.
- When you find an image you love that someone else has pinned, you can “repin” it onto one of your boards by clicking “repin.”
- Organize your images in different categories, or “boards.” You can name the boards anything you want. Usually the names are based on the themes of the images on that board.
- Connect with other Pinterest users and follow them so you can see what they pin every day. Your Pinterest home page works a lot like your Facebook home page – it’s a running feed of all your friend’s activity from the last couple of days.
- You can get this cool little widget that lets you pin other stuff around the web. It lets you put a “Pin it” button at the top of your browser, so you can go crazy pinning all kinds of stuff!
Here’s what Pinterest is about, quoted from the Pinterest About page:
“Pinterest lets you organize and share all the beautiful things you find on the web. People use pinboards to plan their weddings, decorate their homes, and organize their favorite recipes.
Best of all, you can browse pinboards created by other people. Browsing pinboards is a fun way to discover new things and get inspiration from people who share your interests.
…Our goal is to connect everyone in the world through the ‘things’ they find interesting. We think that a favorite book, toy, or recipe can reveal a common link between two people. With millions of new pins added every week, Pinterest is connecting people all over the world based on shared tastes and interests.”
Sounds pretty great, right?
Plus, it’s pretty. 🙂
I like using Pinterest because it’s beautiful and positive. People post stuff that makes them happy. Or they pin pictures of beautiful rooms and furniture they’d like to buy for their houses. Or they post images of fashion that they love.
It’s GORGEOUS. And it’s a marvelous way to spend time on the Internet and connect with people.
You rarely see a Pinterest pin that says “My day sucks. My dog ran away and I totaled my car, and then my kids threw a temper tantrum.” There’s no bitching on Pinterest. It’s all just lovely images, positive thoughts, beautiful images, and love and kindness and heart.
That’s why I love it. How about you?
You can follow me on Pinterest at @bethhayden.
Note: Let me know in the comment if you’re on Pinterest, and I’ll follow you! And if you need an invitation, I can hook you up! Just leave a comment with the email address you want me to send it to, and I’ll get it in your hot little hands. 🙂